Sunday 10 August 2014

"tonight I'm tangled in my blanket of clouds, dreaming aloud"


It's done! Our band t-shirt blanket. Finally. It took over THREE years to finish! 
Why? 
It's a pretty simple project so all I can say is that I'll blame it on moving house a few times, forgetfulness, lack of spreading out space and if I'm totally honest; procrastination. 

We had a large collection of music tees (and a lot more have resurfaced since - another blanket maybe?) that had their day in the sun, were worn to bits, stretched here and there or just somehow stained or torn. Now these shirts are all very precious memories so I thought the best thing would be to make a lovely warm blanket to keep them all together and give them a new lease on life.

Charging ahead as I sometimes do without thinking first, I went and chopped up most of the shirts into rough squares or rectangles, not thinking of using a more uniform template. This screwed me up majorly later on when I started to lay all the pieces down and realised that it wasn't going to be that easy. So a lot of trimming and (sometimes too much) chopping later, I was able to get some very uneven rows happening. 
And t-shirts stretch all which ways which was frustrating until I decided to iron interface them all, which made a HUGE difference. 

I backed the blanket in a nice soft fleece and bias taped the edges. This blanket is sooooo snuggly and warm and made just in time for THIS winter! The blanket has no uniformity and is all over the place and not really how I would have liked it, but apparently I've just been staring at it for so damn long! It's growing on me. I guess its all scattered like my brain is most of the time.



No longer will I have to hear "Will our blanket be ready this winter??"

For the Ears!
Foo Fighters: Walking After You

1 comment: